Very good morning to you and welcome to curated top Headlines from Nigerian Newspapers todayJanuary 2, 2023.
What are the Nigerian Newspapers Saying?.
Hoodlums Attack Tambuwal’s Convoy
Aminu Tambuwal, the governor of Sokoto State, was attacked by hoodlums on Sunday.
According to reports, the incident happened on Sunday as Tambuwal and other government representatives were travelling home after participating in the Peoples Democratic Party’s (PDP) statewide electioneering campaign in the Sokoto State local governments of Silame and Wamakko.
According to a source who requested anonymity, the attackers threw stones at the convoy’s moving vehicles, damaging the SUV driven by the governor’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity’s front windscreen.
1) A Toyota Hiace bus and a Mack tanker collided on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway just a few metres from Gofamaint on Sunday, leaving no less than seven people confirmed dead and 16 others injured.The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Ogun’s Sector Commander, Mr. Ahmed Umar, confirmed the incident to Journalist in Abeokuta.
2) Olusegun Obasanjo, a former president of Nigeria, has urged the youth to unite and seize control of the country from the more senior generation. In a letter that he personally signed and made available to newsmen on Sunday in Abeokuta, Obasanjo made the call.
Nigerian Newspapers:Obasanjo Blasts Tinubu for Saying “Emi Lokan”
3) In an act of kindness on New Year’s Day, Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai approved the release of 11 prisoners and thanked the locals for their support over the years. According to a statement from Sir Kashim Ibrahim House, the governor released the prisoners on New Year’s Day after acting on the advice of the State Advisory Council on Prerogative of Mercy.
4) Before taking any action against the G-5 governors, the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP stated that it is patiently waiting for them to select their preferred candidate in the upcoming 2023 presidential election. Aminu Tambuwal, the director general of the Atiku/Okowa presidential campaign organisation, made the aforementioned statement.
Nigerian Newspapers, NewsOnline Nigeria
5) Godwin Obaseki, the governor of Edo State, has urged Nigerians to choose trustworthy leaders in the general elections of 2023 who will lead the country through its many challenges and help it develop.
6) In order to stop terrorist killings and property destruction, the Labour Party’s (LP) candidate for the Southern Kaduna senate seat, Engr. Mike Ayuba Auta, has urged President Muhammadu Buhari and the security chiefs to send more troops to the region.
Nigerian Newspapers:Bola Tinubu off to Saudi Arabia for medical rest, denies meeting G-5 governors
7) On Sunday, former president Olusegun Obasanjo endorsed Peter Obi, the front-runner for the Labour Party, saying he had an advantage over the other candidates in terms of knowledge, discipline, vitality, and character. Therefore, the former president urged Nigerians to support the LP candidate in the presidential election on February 25. Read More
8) Due to their alleged involvement in illegal bunkering activities, a petrol station in Opete, Udu Local Government Area, Delta State, and a barge were destroyed. Before security personnel, representatives of the Nigeria Petroleum Development Company, NPDC, and management of Tantita Security Services Nigeria Limited, a company owned by former militant leader Chief Government Ekpemupolo, alias Tompolo, the petrol station was destroyed.
Nigerian Newspapers –NewsOnline Nigeria
9.The most pressing issue facing the country right now, according to Matthew Kukah, the Catholic Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, is how to hold credible, free, and fair elections. Therefore, he urged Nigerians to work for elections where votes would be counted.
10) Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, the presidential candidate for the ruling All Progressives Congress APC, responded to former president Olusegun Obasanjo’s endorsement of Mr. Peter Obi of the Labour Party LP, saying the ex-Nigerian leader could not win an Ogun voting unit. However, Tinubu acknowledged that the former president had every democratic right to support anyone in a preliminary response to the news.
Thanks for using our platform to learn about the latest Naija News on Nigerian Newspapers, NewsOnline Nigeria