What British Govt Said After Media Reports About Obi’s Detention Went Viral
Following identity problems at the Heathrow airport in London last week, Obi was detained by British immigration officials.
Read Also:Full List of ethnic groups in Edo State
Dean Hurlock, the head of the British High Commission’s media unit in Abuja, responded to Newsmen’s request for clarification by saying that the mission does not comment on such matters because they are private.
The British High Commission is aware of recent media stories involving the LP presidential candidate. However, in accordance with Commission policy, we refrain from commenting on specific cases,” Hurlock said.
Yesterday, there were numerous reports claiming that the UK government had apologised to Obi for the allegedly embarrassing treatment he received in London, calling it “inacceptable.”
However, the Labour Party Presidential Campaign Council (LPPC) Media Office quickly responded by denying that it had ever received an apology from the British government for the embarrassing detention of its presidential candidate.
Diran Onifade, the head of the Obi-Datti Media team, issued a statement in which he urged the UK government to address the issue of the former Anambra State governor’s treatment, while also reiterating that the Labour Party has moved on from the incident.
Part of the statement reads, “We have been receiving inquiries regarding a so-called apology, allegedly issued by the British Government or any of its agencies, to our Principal Mr. Peter Obi, in respect of a routine Immigration engagement with him, as he arrived in London for a brief visit, last Friday, the 7th of April.
“We would like to firmly state that we are not aware of any such apology and have not made any statement in this regard.
“We have every confidence in the ability of the British authorities to bring the matter to a successful conclusion, even as we continue to look into any shady or political motivation on the part of the identity thieves.
Mr. Peter Obi and the LP/PCC have since moved past the incident and are now entirely focused on the legal proceedings before the Election Petition Tribunal in an effort to reclaim the mandate that, in our opinion, was overwhelmingly expressed by voters in the February 25th presidential election.
Thanks for using our platform to learn about the latest Naija News on See What British Govt Said After Media Reports About Obi’s Detention Went Viral