Wizkid Birthday Date, News, Party and all you need to know.
One of Nigeria’s largest music exports is without a doubt the Nigerian music artist Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun, popularly known as Wizkid to his millions of fans around the world.
The multi-award-winning artist has not only cemented his reputation as one of the finest musicians to emerge from Africa, but it is also clear that he is still on the verge of breaking barriers.
We have compiled a list of 30 amazing facts about him that you should be aware of in honour of Wizkid birthday.
- Wizkid Birthday Date: Born on July 16, 1990, the singer hails from Lagos State and is from a family of six. He is the last child and also the only son.
- He started singing at the age of eleven under the stage name Lil Prinz. He also formed a group at 11 called Glorious Five. The group later released a 7-track album that was released in the church.
- His first album was with the Glorious 5 and it sold 10,000 copies.
- He had his first ever recording with OJB Jezreel at 11.
- At the age of 15, he was song writing and receiving guidance from Naeto C.
- In 2006, he changed his name from the moniker Lil Prinz to Wizkid.
- Before raising to stardom Wizkid was lucky enough to have crossed paths with celebrated artists like 2Face, Idibia, Naeto C, Sound Sultan.
- He broke into the spotlight in 2009 when he featured on rapper, M.I Abaga’s song, “Fast Cars”.
- His break out single is “Holla At Your Boy” that was released in 2010.
- In 2011, the musician welcomed his first son, Boluwatife. He currently has three.
- He acquired his first car in 2011. A black Honda Accord i-VTEC.
- In the same 2011, he dropped out of Lead City University in his third year. He was studying “International Relations”.
- His first solo album was released in 2011 with E.M.E titled, ‘Superstar’. The album had 17 tracks.
- In April 2012, E.M.E signed a joint deal on Wizkid with Akon’s Konvict.
- He floats his own Record Label, Star Boy.
- The singer’s favourite colour is black.
- Wizkid’s first International Collaboration was with Akon on Don’t Dull (Remix).
- He was reported to habe popped N300million Champagne at his 23rd Birthday.
- According to FeeBuzz.com, his hit track, “Azonto” was the third non-American songs of 2013.
- He is the youngest African artiste to get a Grammy nomination.
- Wizkid is the first African pop star to perform/sell out Royal Albert Hall in London.
- He is the Nigerian artiste with the most award nominations in Nigeria.
- He is the first African to bag seven Billboard nominations.
- He is the first Nigerian artiste to win three Billboard awards.
- Wizkid is the first afro-pop artiste to appear in the Guinness Book of World Records.
- He is the first Nigerian artiste to win an award from the American Society of Composers Authors and Publishers (ASCAP).
- Thanks to his collaboration on “One Dance” a track he was featured on by Canadian rapper, Drake, Wizkid is the only Nigerian artiste to maintain the number one spot on iTunes World Chart for more than one week.
- 24 hours after its release, Wizkid’s “Come Closer” on which he featured Drake got up to a million views on YouTube. This makes Wizkid the first African artiste whose video hit the million mark within the first 24 hours of its release. He broke his own record with the music video for “Fever”. The video features Nigerian superstar, Tiwa Savage who plays his love interest.
- The governor of Minnesota, Mark Brandt Dayton honoured the singer, by naming a day after him in the US.
- In an interview with Alex Frank of Vogue magazine in February 2015, Wizkid said he wears a mixture of streetwear and traditional Nigerian clothes. He cited Pharrell Williams as one of his fashion style icons.
You may like
Thanks for reading 30 Amazing Facts About Wizkid You Don’t Know As He Turns 33 Today, July 16, 2022.
- Wizkid Birthday