Top Nigerian Newspapers Headlines Today for Tuesday, September 5, 2023.
Welcome to the daily news roundup, providing you with a concise overview of the top Nigerian stories making waves across Nigeria.
Here is today’s summary of top stories from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) Initiates Two-Day Warning Strike Over Fuel Subsidy Removal
The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) is poised to embark on a two-day warning strike starting today (Tuesday) in response to the removal of the fuel subsidy. The NLC had previously sought dialogue with the Federal Government to address the growing suffering across the nation but was left with no choice but to proceed with the strike. The strike, which was announced last Friday, aims to draw attention to the excruciating suffering caused by the subsidy removal.
2. National Union of Banks, Insurance, and Financial Institutions Employees (NUBIFIE) Joins NLC Strike
In a remarkable display of unity, the National Union of Banks, Insurance, and Financial Institutions Employees (NUBIFIE), the umbrella organization representing workers in the banking and insurance sector, has pledged its support for the NLC’s two-day warning strike. Mr. Mohammed Sheikh, the General Secretary of NUBIFIE, underlined the importance of their participation, citing the urgent need to address the dire economic situation faced by Nigerians.
3. Federal Government Sets Two-Week Timeline for Addressing Worker Concerns
During a meeting with the Trade Union Congress (TUC), the Federal Government has committed to addressing concerns related to wage awards, tax exemptions, and allowances for public sector workers. This initiative is aimed at mitigating the challenges faced by Nigerians due to the fuel subsidy removal. Additionally, the government has agreed to work out the modalities for accessing the recently announced intervention fund for Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises.
4. Security Agencies Warn Against Unlawful Actions Ahead of Election Tribunal Judgment
Security agencies have issued a stern warning against any unlawful actions by troublemakers leading up to the delivery of the judgment of the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal in Abuja, scheduled for Wednesday. Brig. Gen. Tukur Gusau, the Director of Defence Information, emphasized that those planning to incite violence should abandon their intentions.
5. Chief Bode George Criticizes Economic Policies of Federal Government
Former Deputy National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Chief Bode George, has expressed concerns about the economic policies of the Bola Tinubu-led Federal Government, stating that they are causing hardship for Nigerians. He also cautioned the judiciary not to be used to disrupt the electoral process as it delivers its judgment on the Presidential Election Petition.
6. Former President Obasanjo and Emir Sanusi Criticize Economic State
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo and the 14th Emir of Kano, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, have criticized the economic performance of the former President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration. Obasanjo alleged reckless spending during the previous government, while Sanusi lamented the false economic situation Nigeria experienced under that administration.
7. National Bureau of Statistics Reports Growth in VAT and CIT Revenue
The National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) has released data indicating a year-on-year growth of 17 percent in revenue from Value Added Tax (VAT) and Company Income Tax (CIT) in the first half of 2023 (H1’23). The figures rose to N3.48 trillion from N2.97 trillion in the corresponding period of 2022 (H1’22). Specifically, VAT revenue saw a 25 percent increase year-on-year, reaching N1.49 trillion in H1’23 from N1.19 trillion in H1’22.
8. President Bola Tinubu Contemplates G-20 Membership Invitation
Ajuri Ngelale, the Special Adviser to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Media and Publicity, has confirmed that President Tinubu has received an invitation to join the G-20. The President is currently evaluating the benefits of participating in the gathering of the world’s largest economies.
9. Lagos State Governor Makes Changes to Commissioner-Nominees List
Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has made adjustments to the list of commissioner-nominees. Five names have been replaced with six new ones. The affected nominees are Folashade Adefisayo (Education), Solape Hammond (SDG), Aramide Adeyoye (Works and Infrastructure), Lekan Fatodu, and Rotimi Ogunwuyi. They have been replaced by Afolabi Tajudeen, Akinyemi Ajigbotafe, Tolani Sule-Akibu, Yekini Agbaje, Iyabode Ayoola, and Sola Giwa.
10. Central Bank of Nigeria Reports Foreign Firms Repatriating Funds
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has disclosed that foreign firms repatriated a total of $5.86 billion from the Nigerian economy between October 2022 and March 2023. The majority of this amount, approximately $5.13 billion, was repatriated as dividends by foreign investors.
Stay tuned for more updates on these evolving stories as Nigeria navigates a landscape filled with challenges and opportunities
- News in Nigeria
- Dollar to Naira
- Politics in Nigeria
- Pool Fixtures
- Pool Results
- Pool codes
- Npower News
- Jobs in Nigeria
Previous Nigerian Newspapers Headlines.
- Nigerian Newspapers Headlines: 10 things You Need to Know Today, September 20, 2023
- Nigerian Newspapers Headlines: 10 things You Need to Know Today, September 19, 2023
- Nigerian Newspapers Headlines: 10 Updates You Need to Know Today, September 15, 2023
- Nigerian Newspapers Headlines Today: 10 Latest News and Updates September 12, 2023
- Nigerian Newspapers Headlines Today: 10 Latest News and Updates September 11, 2023
- Nigerian Newspapers Headlines Today: 10 Latest News and Updates September 10, 2023
- 5 Early Warning Signs of Heart Attack: Taking action promptly can save lives
Thanks for readung, that is all for now on the top Nigerian Newspapers headlines for today. Stay informed and have a great day.
- NYSC Registration | NYSC Call Up Letter | All You should Know As PCMs
- How to Print NYSC Green Card And NYSC Call Up Letter
- NECO Result Checker 2023 | www.result.neco.gov.ng | NECO Result Portal Login
- 48 Powerful Prayer Points for Breakthrough With Scriptures
Our Daily Nigerian Newspapers Headlines source.