CJN Administers Oath of Office to Nine New Justices of the Court of Appeal.
Abuja, Nigeria – In a formal ceremony held at the Supreme Court complex in Abuja on Wednesday, September 20, 2023, the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Olukayode Ariwoola, administered the oath of office to nine distinguished justices newly appointed to the Court of Appeal. This momentous occasion marks a significant step in strengthening the judiciary and upholding the rule of law in Nigeria.
The newly sworn-in justices, each bringing a wealth of legal experience and expertise, include:
- Justice Hannatu Azumi Laja-Balogun (Kaduna State): Justice Laja-Balogun, a seasoned High Court Judge since May 24, 1999, joins the ranks of the Court of Appeal with a distinguished career in the judiciary.
- Justice Binta Fatima Zubairu (Kaduna State): Justice Zubairu has served as a High Court Judge since October 31, 2001, and her dedication to the law has led her to this prestigious appointment.
- Justice Peter Chudi Obiora (Anambra State): With a history of service as a High Court Judge since January 17, 2005, Justice Obiora brings a wealth of experience to the Court of Appeal.
- Justice Okon Efreti Abang (Akwa Ibom State): Justice Abang’s career on the High Court Bench began on June 22, 2009, and his commitment to justice continues at the appellate level.
- Justice Asma’u Musa Mainoma (Federal Capital Territory): Starting her tenure as a High Court Judge on February 1, 2013, Justice Mainoma’s journey in the judiciary has led her to this esteemed position.
- Justice Lateef Adebayo Ganiyu (Oyo State): Ascending to the High Court Bench on June 26, 2014, Justice Ganiyu’s dedication to the law is recognized with this appointment.
- Justice Jane Esienanwan Iyang (Cross River State): Sworn in as a High Court Judge on February 12, 2015, Justice Iyang brings her legal acumen and commitment to justice to the Court of Appeal.
- Justice Hadiza Rabiu Shagari (Sokoto State): With her journey to the High Court Bench commencing on February 12, 2015, Justice Shagari’s dedication to upholding the law is now extended to the appellate court.
- Justice Paul Ahmed Bassi (Borno State): Embarking on his career in the High Court on July 14, 2017, Justice Bassi’s appointment to the Court of Appeal further solidifies his contribution to the legal system.
The appointment and swearing-in of these justices reinforce the commitment to the rule of law and the advancement of justice within Nigeria. As they assume their roles on the Court of Appeal, these distinguished jurists will play a vital role in ensuring fairness and justice in the country’s legal system