Nigeria vs Ivory Coast – CAF AFCON 2023 final (1-2)
Adingra the provider again
The winger goes to the line and crosses to the near post where Haller throws out a leg a touches the ball across Nwabali and into the netting at the far post.
81 minutes: Nigeria 1-2 Ivory Coast
Nigeria 1-1 Ivory Coast
72 mins: Dangerous ball into the Nigeria box, Kessie getting forward on the right.
Nwabali reads it though, off his line and he claims it comfortably.
Double Ivorian change
Aurier and Gradel come off for Singo and Diakite – the latter the scorer of the dramatic quarterfinal winner in extra time against Mali.
70 minutes: Nigeria 1-1 Ivory Coast
Kessie levels from the corner
Where his last effort was soft, Kessie meets the corner with a powerful header at the back post.
62 minutes: Nigeria 1-1 Ivory Coast
The hosts are level.
62 minutes: Nigeria 1-1 Ivory Coast
Kessie with the diving header
Adingra gets free on the left, then cuts back to hang the ball to the back post.
Could Kessie have swung a left-footed volley at that instead to gain more power?
It was a soft header at the keeper in the end.
60 minutes: Nigeria 1-0 Ivory Coast
Goal F. Kessié 62′
53 mins: Match is paused, with Gradel staying down. He gets some treatment.
Meanwhile, yellow cards for both Aurier and Nwabali, as tempers boil over after that latest decision.
Doesn’t look like VAR will intervene. Wasn’t much contact.
Nigeria 1-0 Ivory Coast
52 mins: Gradel down in the box, big penalty appeals!
Referee waves play on, boos ring out around the stadium. VAR will take a look.
Early free kick for the Elephants
Gradel wins a free kick close the box on the right flank.
A dangerous position.
48 minutes: Nigeria 1-0 Ivory Coast
46 mins. Super Eagles leading
Second Half under way.
Ivory Coast had 66% of the ball in the opening 45 minutes.
Nine shots, three on target. Crucially though, no goal.
Nigeria rarely had sustained periods of possession, but that won’t bother them. Two shots, one on target and that was the goal.
Ruthless showing from the Super Eagles.
Half Time Nigeria 1-0 Ivory Coast.
Super Eagles in front!
45+4 mins: Concern for Nigeria, with Osimhen down off the ball.
Gets some treatment and he’s going to carry on for now – one to keep an eye on though.
Four minutes added on.
GOAL! Nigeria 1-0 Ivory Coast | William Troost-Ekong 38′
SUPER EAGLES IN FRONT!
First corner, first goal.
Flicked on at the near post, Troost-Ekong then too powerful in the air as he heads into the top corner!
Nigeria 0-0 Ivory Coast
30 mins: Ball clipped over the top of the Nigeria defence, Nwabali has to rush off his line to get there before Adingra.
Goalless first 30 minutes of this final, but it’s been a good watch. Emotions running high already.
Nigeria 0-0 Ivory Coast
16 mins: Nigeria defending really well, dealing with anything in the air, but the Super Eagles are yet to offer a huge amount in attack.
Osimhen has barely had a touch. Iwobi tries to change that, with a ball down the line, but it’s straight out of play. Thumbs up from Osimhen, appreciating the idea.
Adingra with the kick
It’s headed clear but a handball by Lookman means another chance to swing a kick in.
That too is cleared and may set Nigeria away.
11 minutes: Nigeria 0-0 Ivory Coast
Bassey can’t prevent the corner
Gradel swings it away from goal and its headed on it’s way by the Nigeria defence.
5 minutes: Nigeria 0-0 Ivory Coast
Obviously it’s a crowd dominated by Ivory Coast fans, but there are a good numbers of Nigeria supporters making themselves heard too.
Up to the Super Eagles players to quieten down the home faithful – not an easy task!
The Super Eagles are all in green, the Elephants are all in orange and the game is underway.
1 minute: Nigeria 0-0 Ivory Coast
The stage is set for a captivating encounter as Ivory Coast and Nigeria lock horns in the AFCON 2024 final on Sunday, February 11th. Both teams will be vying for continental glory, promising an electrifying display on Ivorian soil.
Nigeria vs Ivory Coast Team News:
Ivory Coast: The Elephants will be without suspended striker Sébastien Haller, who played a pivotal role in their semi-final victory. Wilfried Zaha and Nicolas Pépé remain key figures in attack, while Serge Aurier’s leadership in defense will be crucial.
Nigeria: The Super Eagles boast a strong attacking line-up with Victor Osimhen, Kelechi Iheanacho, and Moses Simon in their ranks. Wilfred Ndidi anchors the midfield, while William Troost-Ekong marshals the defense.
Nigeria vs Ivory Coast Head-to-Head:
Ivory Coast vs. Nigeria Head-to-Head: A Look at the Numbers Before the AFCON 2024 Final
Before we delve into the final itself, let’s take a closer look at their head-to-head record and see how things stack up:
Nigeria vs Ivory Coast h2h Overall:
- Matches Played: 31
- Nigeria Wins: 14
- Ivory Coast Wins: 9
- Draws: 18
Nigeria vs Ivory Coast Recent Encounters:
- January 18, 2024 (AFCON 2024 Group Stage): Nigeria 1-0 Ivory Coast
- January 21, 2008 (AFCON 2008): Nigeria 0-1 Ivory Coast
- February 3, 2013 (AFCON 2013): Nigeria 1-2 Ivory Coast
- Nigeria: 40 goals
- Ivory Coast: 33 goals
- This will be the second time these two teams meet in an AFCON final. The first encounter was in 2015, where Ivory Coast emerged victorious after a penalty shootout.
Key Points to Consider:
- While Nigeria holds the overall lead in head-to-head victories, their most recent clash in the AFCON group stage saw Ivory Coast suffer a narrow defeat.
- Ivory Coast will be seeking revenge for that loss and will also be buoyed by the advantage of playing in front of their home crowd.
- Both teams have dangerous attackers, with the likes of Victor Osimhen (Nigeria) and Wilfried Zaha (Ivory Coast) in their ranks.
- Defensive solidity will also be crucial, and players like William Troost-Ekong (Nigeria) and Serge Aurier (Ivory Coast) will be key figures at the back.
See Kick-off Time & How to Watch in Nigeria:
- The highly anticipated final kicks off at 9:00 PM WAT (Nigerian time) on Sunday, February 11th.
- Nigerian fans can catch the live action on several channels, including:
- DStv Channel 202
- NTA Sports
- AIT (Africa Independent Television)
- Streaming services like DStv Now and Showmax
What to Expect in Nigeria vs Ivory Coast.
- A passionate atmosphere is guaranteed in the final, with both sets of fans creating a cauldron of noise.
- Expect a tight and physical battle, with both teams desperate for victory.
- Individual brilliance on either side could decide the outcome of this highly anticipated encounter.
Nigeria vs Ivory Coast Prediction.
Predicting the winner of the AFCON 2024 Final between Ivory Coast and Nigeria is a tough call due to the close history and current form of both teams. Here’s a breakdown of the factors to consider:
Factors favoring Ivory Coast:
- Home advantage: Playing in front of a passionate home crowd can be a significant boost.
- Revenge factor: Seeking to avenge their group stage defeat to Nigeria can motivate them further.
- Strong attacking options: Wilfried Zaha and Nicolas Pépé pose a threat upfront.
- Experience: Veteran players like Serge Aurier can provide leadership.
Factors favoring Nigeria:
- Recent form: Won all their knockout stage matches convincingly.
- Teamwork and balance: Solid defense and strong attacking options in Osimhen, Iheanacho, and Simon.
- Mental toughness: Proven ability to win close matches and handle pressure.
It’s likely to be a close and tense affair. While Ivory Coast has the home advantage and revenge factor, Nigeria’s current form and overall balance seem slightly stronger. However, predicting football is notoriously difficult, and individual brilliance on either side can swing the match.
Here are some specific predictions you might find interesting:
- Bookmakers’ odds: Many favor Nigeria slightly, with odds around 2.3 to 2.5 for their victory, compared to 3.0 to 3.2 for Ivory Coast.
- Opta Analyst prediction: Gives Nigeria a 40.7% chance of winning, with Ivory Coast at 32.8% and a 27.5% chance of a draw.
Ejes Gist Nigeria vs Ivory Coast prediction: it will be Ivory Coast 0 – Nigeria 1
The final on February 11th promises to be a thrilling encounter, and the head-to-head record suggests it could be a close affair. History favors Nigeria, but Ivory Coast will be determined to rewrite the script on home soil.
Will Ivory Coast seek revenge for their group stage defeat and reclaim their AFCON crown on home soil? Or will Nigeria continue their dominant run and lift the trophy for the fourth time? Don’t miss this epic clash for continental glory!