Over twenty member unions of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) have actively joined the nationwide strike initiated by the Organised Labour.
These unions have instructed their members to adhere to the directives of both the NLC and the Trade Union Congress (TUC), initiating an indefinite strike that commenced at midnight on Monday.
The decision to undertake this strike was made during the National Executive Council (NEC) meeting of the labour unions held on Monday, November 13, 2023, in Abuja.
The primary motivation for the strike is the assault on NLC President Joe Ajaero in Imo State, highlighting concerns over the Federal Government’s purported neglect of issues affecting workers, including minimum wage, insecurity, corruption, and governance.
The unions had previously presented demands to the government, which, as per reports, remained unaddressed following the recent crisis in Imo, culminating in the attack on Ajaero and other labor union members.
Among the unions heeding the strike call are:
1. Academic Staff Union of Universities
2. Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities
3. College of Education Academic Staff Union
4. Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics
5. National Union of Food Beverage and Tobacco Employees
6. Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Polytechnics
7. Medical and Health Workers Union of Nigeria
8. National Association of Academic Technologists
9. National Union of Postal and Telecommunication Employees
10. Nigeria Union Of Local Government Employees
11. Judiciary Staff Union of Nigeria
12. Nigeria Union of Public Service Reportorial, Secretarial, Data Processors and Allied Workers
13. National Union of Textile Garments and Tailoring Workers of Nigeria
14. National Associations of Nigeria Nurses and Midwives
15. National Union of Banks, Insurance and Financial Institutions Employees
16. Maritime Workers Union of Nigeria
17. National Union of Electricity Employees
18. Parliamentary Staff Association of Nigeria
19. Nigeria Union of Railway Workers
20. Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria