Very good morning to you and welcome to curated top Headlines from Nigerian Newspapers today December 31, 2022.
What are the Nigerian Newspapers Saying?.
Buhari To Sign 2023 Budget Tuesday – Lawan
Ahmed Lawan, the Senate’s president, announced on Friday that President Muhammadu Buhari will sign the 2023 appropriations bill on January 3 of that year.
After a private meeting with the President at the Presidential Villa in Abuja, Lawan made this statement.
1. Over 120 major generals, brigadiers, colonels, lieutenants, captains, and other ranks have been ordered by the Nigerian Army’s high command to proceed with their mandatory retirement. The affected officers, which includes those who failed their Senior Staff Course Examinations, were given the option of voluntarily retiring or being subjected to a summary retrenchment.
2. On Friday, a Yaba Chief Magistrate’s Court remanded Assistant Superintendent of Police Drambi Vandi to the Ikoyi Correctional Centre in connection with the alleged Christmas Day murder of pregnant lawyer Mrs. Omobolanle Raheem in Lagos by an unauthorised gunshot.Read More
Nigerian Newspapers:Happy New Year Wishes 2023 Quotes, Messages SMS, & Images
3. Federal Capital Territory Police Command agents have detained Taiwo Ojo, 63, an Abuja panel beater, for the murder, burning, and burial of Philip Kura, his colleague, in a shallow grave in the Bwari neighbourhood of the Federal Capital Territory. According to an intelligence source with knowledge of the homicide, Ojo killed his colleague on December 23 as a result of a disagreement over money.
4. The Rivers State Police Command reported that its agents had detained seven fictitious members of the civilian Joint Task Force and 10 suspected Indigenous People of Biafra members in various locations throughout the State. This information was provided to reporters in Port Harcourt on Friday during a briefing by the state’s commissioner of police, Okon Effiong.
Nigerian Newspapers, NewsOnline Nigeria
5. As Catholics prayed for the 95-year-old former pope whose health has drastically declined, the Vatican announced on Friday that his condition is stable. The German pope, who resigned from his position as head of the Catholic Church in 2013 for the first time since the Middle Ages, has gotten older and more frail.
6. Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore, a Fulani sociocultural organisation, yesterday endorsed Asiwaju Ahmed Tinubu’s bid for the presidency in 2023 on behalf of the All Progressives Congress. Alhaji Bello Bodejo, the association’s president, stated at a meeting held in Lafia, Nasarawa State, on Friday that the move was made to ensure that the herders were not left out of the overall plan.
Nigerian Newspapers:Governor Makinde To Lose 2nd Term Ticket, Ortom, Ikpeazu, Ugwuanyi Risk Losing Senate Tickets As PDP Move To Write INEC
7. Nyesom Wike, the governor of Rivers State, has urged those threatening to kick him out of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) to at least try.
During the Friday flag-off ceremony for the construction of the Eneka-Igbo Etche Road dualization project, Governor Wike issued the challenge at the Eneka Road Roundabout.Read More
8. In the wee hours of Friday, Nigerian police officers from the Ogun State command detained two brothers, Ayomide and Gbenga Babatunde, for kidnapping a woman and her nine-year-old son for ritual purposes. Abimbola Oyeyemi, the command’s spokesperson, revealed this in a statement yesterday.
Nigerian Newspapers –NewsOnline Nigeria
9. Delta State Governor Ifeanyi Okowa, a vice presidential candidate for the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), said on Friday that God, not the G-5 governors, would choose Nigeria’s next leader. When leading the Delta PDP campaign train to the Ndokwa East and Ndokwa West Local Government Areas of the State, Okowa made the statement in Aboh.
10. According to the Federal Government, salaries for public and civil servants will not be reviewed. Sen. Chris Ngige, the minister of labour and employment, said in a statement that he discussed a review of the affected workers’ pay and benefits, particularly the civil servants, when he met with State House reporters.
Thanks for using our platform to learn about the latest Naija News on Nigerian Newspapers, NewsOnline Nigeria