Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has approved 61 million for the mass burial of 2020 EndSARS victims.
The Lagos State Agency has issued a “No Objection” to the contract awarded to MESSRS. TOS FUNERALS LIMITED for the solemn task of conducting a mass burial for the 103 victims of the 2020 EndSARS protests.
Mr. Onafowote Fatal Idowu, the Director-General of the Lagos State Agency, confirmed that the contract, amounting to N61,285,000.00 (Sixty-One Million, Two Hundred and Eighty-Five Thousand Naira), obtained the necessary approvals, including the endorsement from the esteemed Governor.
According to the Lagos State government, the mass burial, aimed at paying homage to those who tragically lost their lives during the harrowing events of the 2020 EndSARS protests, holds profound significance for the people of Lagos.
It is worth recalling that in 2020, the Lagos State government and the then APC Government led by Former President Muhammadu Buhari denied that EndSARS protesters died in Lagos and at the Lekki tollgate. It should also be noted that the Lekki tollgate killing, where Nigerian Military shot peaceful protesters, was tagged a massacre.
However, it was denied by the then Government. The Lekki tollgate shooting sparked wide protests, burning and destruction of government properties, and the killing of police officers.
The letter reads ;
LETTER OF NO OBJECTION MASS BURIAL FOR THE 103. THE YEAR 2020 ENDSARS VICTIMS.
We refer to your letter dated 13 July 2023 with Ref No: LSMH/G/NS/013-1/23 regarding the above subject matter.
2. Following our review of your letter and the attached documents, we note the following:
I. Mr. Governor’s Approval
II. Minutes of Ministerial Tenders Hoard Meeting
III. Procurement Planning Committee
3. After reviewing your request and based on the information provided therein, the Agency has “No Objection” to the award of the contract to MESSRS. TOS FUNERALS LIMITED at a total cost of N61,285,000.00 (Sixty-One Million, Two Hundred and Eighty-Five Thousand Naira) only for the mass burial of the 103 victims of the year 2020 Endsars.
4. In view of the above, please note:
I. Ensure a quadruplicate copy of the letter of award for MESSRS. TOS FUNERALS LIMITED is registered with the PPA within 72 hours.
II. Ensure the submission of the Certificate of Suppliers’ Registration with PPA in the appropriate class.
III. Ensure all statutory taxes and deductions are remitted by the supplier.
IV. The letter of award is to be accompanied by a copy of this letter of ‘NO OBJECTION, Certificate of Registration/Renewal with PPA, and receipt of payment of Administrative fees (0.25%) to be paid before the Release of Funds.
5. (a) Refer to the Head of Service Circular with Reference No: CIR/1105/20/Vol 1/051 dated 15 May 2020, which mandates that the 0.25% Administrative fee is paid to PPA and the 0.5% agreement fee is paid to the Ministry of Justice.
(b) Service providers should indicate in writing whether there is a need for STO/MDA Finance and Accounts to deduct at the source or payment should be made directly by the Service Providers before the release of funds.
6. Pursuant to Sections 18 (1) (b) and 18(1) (k) of the Lagos State Public Procurement Law 2021, your office is required to keep proper records of this project, which shall be subject to Procurement Audit by the Agency afterward.
7. Please be guided accordingly.
8. Thank you
M. Onafowote Fatal Idowu Director-General.